Official Response!

This morning we finally received official word from CCP on the missing Vagabond Frill:

"Hey vagabonds

A number of you are missing the so called frills we had removed from the Vagabond during the v3 process, and I think it’s totally fair that I (the Art director) give you an explanation why we did that, and what our intentions (visually) are with the Vagabond in the future.

EVE is constantly under development and we in the art team look at the renovation process as an ongoing never-ending task that we love to keep working on alongside the new assets we make every year. Some players don’t like to see to many changes made to their beloved ships, but because of this, the fidelity of the game after all these years is still hard to beat and EVE keeps getting great reviews for the art every year.

However maybe the decision to remove the frill from the Vagabond was taken too lightly and I didn’t realize how attached to the look of the ship you were. To me, as the Art Director the Vagabond is a Thukker version of the Stabber, but with Brutor sails attached (rather badly, with intersecting polygons) to the bridge area that make the ship look a bit silly. But after giving it some thought I can understand the iconic appeal. I think you should get your frills back in some way or the other.

That being said, I always wanted to fix the old Stabber up a little bit and give it some more love. I’m not talking about a huge overall change to the ship. But rather just balancing a bit the engine area and making some parts a little more believable. This would of course give us a chance to give the Vagabond some extra care and design the frills with Thukker and some functionality in mind. I already have Stephan Stölting an amazing concept artist working on it and I promise to keep you posted about the development in the near future. Until we finish it you still have to live with a “no frills” Vagabond.

Regards CCP Huskarl"


I'd like to thank CCP Huskarl for his attention to this matter and for having the courage to re-visit the decision to remove the Frill in the first place. I appreciate the forum post and the effort on his part to address our concerns. So thank you for that. It means a lot to many of us, the 99% of Eve players, to be heard.

I'd like to also mention that the Frill is not actually back yet. So we will continue to keep an eye on this as it develops. We won't forget.

But progress has been made, and contact has been made, but the Frill remains missing... for now.