Geekness Day

I'm going to tell you this right up front. About a week ago I get an email from Lisa at SingleHop asking me if I'd be interested in posting about Geekness Day and what it means to me. Nothing wrong with that, I admit I was interested enough to respond affirmatively. And then I just forgot about it. Sorry about that Lisa, my geek life is extremely busy right now. As are my other lives.

(If you'd like to learn more about SingleHop, check out their new private cloud hosting page.)

I rather famously don't like labels. I was a multi-sport athlete growing up, one scouted professionally and one offered scholarships - which I turned down to pursue other interests. I hated math. But I loved writing Machine/Fortran programs on my TRS-80 and Atari 400/800 or Commadore 64s. I love science. But I hate formula. I suck at memorization, but I can make up complex and twisted interlocking stories on command. I love story-telling. I am an artist, but I rarely draw. I can go on and on. I defy easy labels. And that is just the way I like it.

But sure, I am a geek. In much the same way that I am a nerd. Or a business leader. Or a Father. Or a Blogger. Husband. Comic Book Writer. Commercial Producer. Chief Executive Officer. Entrepreneur. Editor. Relief Pitcher. Song Writer. Animator. Beta Tester, or any of the other labels I've worn over the years.

So what makes me a geek? Curiosity? An innate desire not to waste a single second of a brief life? I dunno, but I do know that at this point it would be more than fair to call me one. I am writing this in the pages of an on-going blog about Internet Spaceships. That sounds pretty darn geeky to me.

(Mostly it seems to be fear of failure that drives me. I admit that freely.)

My proudest geek moment? That is a tough one. I did once help to invent, game-test and design a Super-Hero card game for Marvel Entertainment called OverPower. Almost all of the game's graphics, packaging, promotional materials, ads, and whatnots were designed or Art Directed by me during that time. And I got the chance to work with hundreds of extremely talented and wonderful artists, many of them very famous in the comic book and fantasy fields. That would be a hard one to beat.

But sitting on a custom-built Motorcycle you helped design, on top of the Crazy Horse Memorial, which was being raffled off to help the memorial during an event you created, would also be tough to beat.

I'll stop now. My geek bonafides are deep and life-long. My role models tend to be mavericks, challengers, artists, writers, poets, thinkers, world-changers, drum-beaters and pot-stirrers. People who, big or small, helped change the world. No matter the medium.

I'm sure the services at SingleHop are great. But I can't say much more than that. I've never used them personally. I have this sinking feeling that when they said "geek" they meant someone who programs, develops, or otherwise has something to do with computers. Which isn't really my thing. Although I did interview Woz once. And I have been to MacWorld. And I was a Beta Tester for Photoshop. But I don't think they meant the kind of geek that I am.

But I said I'd write this post, so I was determined to write it.

And I am proud to be a geek. Even if it isn't the kind of geek you think I am.