Rorqual Death

Rorqual Death
Click to embiggen
So yesterday this happened.

I was coming back from being blobbed in my pod when I noticed this Rorqual sitting on our station. I quickly jumped into one of my Bhaalgorns and undocked, mostly just intending to have some fun trying to bump it off station. I also started yelling in Corp chat. This is Eve and one never knows what might happen next.

Instead of bumping him I noticed he was aligned... at the High Sec gate. Fellow SF Pilot Devlin also noticed this and warped to the gate in his Slasher (iirc). Either way the Rorqual actually warped to the HS gate, so I quickly aligned down myself. Well, as quickly as a BS can. As you all should know, Capitals cannot jump into HS. At this point we just assumed he had a cyno and was just trying to buy time. But then Devin reported that he landed 10k off the gate and that he already had scram. I was already in warp and landed at zero as intended. I heated my MWD, got point, webs, dropped drones, and aligned right back at the Rorqual. That first bump was legendary and he bumped clear back to 17k off the gate. My weapons and neuts and heavies were already shredding, but Rorquals can be tough and I figured this was going to take some time.

By this time Devlin had left to go grab his own BS and I had Logi on the field to help with gate guns. At this point the only real worry was potential traffic, but local remained relatively calm. The ship was dying quickly, too fast for a Rorqual, when the pilot eventually decided to self-destruct. Devlin managed to get his pod and the salvage.

Turns out it wasn't fit at all. I had noticed this ship docking in our station a week or so ago and told everyone to be on the lookout for it. I never thought this would happen.


I realize we are living in a new age here. And that there are people playing Eve who simply haven't gone thru the traditional learning cliff Hell that most of us had to endure. But on the other hand, there are so many more resources available now than ever in Eve's history. Videos, Guides, tutorials, blogs, forums, Slacks, Discords, the list of helpful and useful information is overwhelming. So how do you explain this?

I know I can't. 

But I do appreciate the kill. I won't forget it anytime soon.